Day/Time: Wednesdays, 6:45pm-7:45pm
Start Dates: February 12, 19, 26, March 5, 12
(Start date depends on current knowledge - option to test out of up to 4 classes)
Instructor: Justin Clauser
Duration: 11 weeks, 1 hour classes
$250.00 – Full program*
*Students who know some basic theory are not required to take all of the classes, depending on the results of a short evaluation. Interested parties may take the written test anytime while at P5 – see the front desk for instructions. The teacher will then determine when the student should start Music Theory I. $25 will be deducted for every class tested out of; maximum discount of $100.
Learn the language of melody, harmony, rhythm and dynamics. Discover how melodies and chord progressions work together. Learn where chords come from and which ones work together.
Students will take from the class an understanding of what is going on in the music they play, the ability to compose music and a basic understanding of what players use to improvise.
5 Reasons you should learn Music Theory:
1) It helps you identify the sounds you hear in music and in your own head. This will make it easier to learn songs by ear and will allow you play what you want when improvising.
2) It will improve your music reading skills. Even if you cannot read a single note of music, theory can be easily explained. Beyond that, it will teach you to read music which is always a valuable skill.
3) It helps in songwriting by explaining how chords go together and interact with your melody. Experienced songwriters do not randomly throw chords together until they get what sounds good. They know what chords will give them the sound they want and how the chords work together. Music theory is key in this pursuit.
4) Music Theory allows musicians to connect more with each other. It is not uncommon to find musicians without knowledge of theory unable to relate to other players unless they play the same instrument. I find singers and drummers are especially alienated from their ensembles unless they know music theory. You do not want to be the only person in the band that doesn't know what is going on. All players, no matter what instrument they play or what style of music they perform, can better communicate both musically and verbally with each other if they study theory.
5) Music theory helps you learn new instruments and styles of music. Theory allows you to connect what you already know to that which you are learning. All music will make more sense and you will learn at a quicker pace.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Some of the topics covered in this course are:
· The Staff
· Note Duration
· Time Signatures
· Major Scale
· Minor Scale
· Scale Degrees
· Key Signatures
Join Us on Facebook and get "Music Theory I" updates straight to your wall.
For existing students, or those who have taken classes or lessons before.
If you haven't created an account, just enter the email address you've provided to us in the past and a
password will be emailed to you. If the system can't find your email address, or you need any help at all, please call us at (717) 691-9100 or email email@example.com
New account registration
For students/families that are new to The Perfect 5th.
If any assistance is needed, please call us at (717) 691-9100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Perfect 5th Musical Arts Center has collected some of the best music instructors in Harrisburg, Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill, Carlisle, New Cumberland, Lemoyne, Dillsburg, Enola, and the West Shore, Pennsylvania area. We offer group and individual lessons in Acoustic & Electric Guitar, Bass guitar, Piano & Keyboard, Voice, Cello, Drums & Percussion, Flute. Live music events such as concerts, recitals, jam sessions performed by local bands & musicians as well as famous artists are the type of events you can find at our music arts center, in Mechanicsburg, Pa (right off the Carlisle Pike). We also offer educational events for seasoned students to learn from well known musicians in our artist clinics and master classes.
Copyright 2011-2014 The Perfect 5th Musical Arts Center. All Rights Reserved.
Have Comments or Questions? Email us at email@example.com