Flute Lessons by The FlutePlace of CentralPA located at The Perfect 5th
30, 45, and 60 minute lessons
Instructor: Molly Shortridge
Levels: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced
Cost: 30.00 per 30-minute lesson.
Request Information about Flute Lessons
In flute lessons with Molly, students and parents can expect the following:
- Quality repertoire and fundamental exercises will be taught
- Music theory and rhythm exercises will be taught
- For students with a short attentions span, music study will be interspersed with fun music activities that enhance and solidify the learning process
- Students are encouraged to listen to the teacher and listen to music that provide examples of good musicianship
- Help with PMEA district, regional and state auditions (Molly’s students often get in the top chairs of the PMEA ensembles)
- Help with college auditions
- Help with other auditions; orchestra, jazz band, symphonic winds, etc.
- Help in dealing with nerves
- Help in playing with others or with a piano accompaniment
- Exposure to concert flute in C, alto flute, bass flute and piccolo. Lessons available on these instruments, or from time to time as needed
- Help with marching band and concert band music
- Consultations on buying the right flute
- Coaching on good practice habits
- Tips on learning difficult passages quickly
- Goal setting discussions and implementation
Molly’s statement about her having been given the opportunity to be a musician:
I am very grateful that my parents gave me private lessons at an early age. Doing so corrected early mistakes that could have occurred by learning without lessons and I feel this pushed me forward to early success. I truly feel indebted towards my parents for giving me this gift that I carry with me daily. I find it essential that young students be given an opportunity to study privately so that they can hear, conceptualize, desire and emulate a good sound when playing their flute.
I am also very thankful that I have had wonderful private teachers who befriended, challenged and encouraged me. I endeavor to carry their examples into my own teaching.
Playing flute gives me a joy unlike no other. On days that may be particularly stressful, the ability to go into my studio and breathe life into this piece of metal I own called the flute feels like a miracle to me.
Participating in an ensemble and being surrounded by strains of live music in the air while at the same time producing music is extraordinary. The opportunity to play alongside fine musicians is an experience that cannot be replicated in any other medium, and also has afforded wonderful connections and friendships.